Monday, October 24, 2005

At least it's not a dark and stormy night...

No, it's a dark and stormy morning instead. Wilma is passing overhead and a bit to the south.

Wilma hasn't been too bad, so far -- at least not where we are. Last year was a different story -- we happened to catch the brunt of Hurricane Jeanne, and it was an experience unlike any I've ever had. It's been said before, but the wind sounded like a freight train. The windows rattled in their panes. In the distance we could hear the hum and pop as a nearby transformer struggled before giving in. (I remember that it sounded a bit like a light-saber duel. Odd.) It was terrifying and thrilling at the same time. I was afraid, because I'm human. But a tiny, dark corner stood in awe at the sheer force that Mother Nature wielded.

It puts me in the mood to read Edmund Burke's Philosophical Enquiry into the Nature of the Sublime and the Beautiful. It's been a while since I've read it, and my writing is always significantly darker when I do, I find. I'm tempted to find the book now, but the lights are off (off as opposed to out) and turning on any light right now would kill the mood.

I know it's ridiculous to mention mood when there's a storm raging outside, but it's true.

I'd planned on working on doing some revisions, but after five hours of sleep, I'm not sure how good of an idea that is. There may be coffee involved and possibly a nap later, because my head feels like it's full of lukewarm oatmeal.

*looks up at the TV for a moment*

Good grief, what do these newscasters think they're proving by going out into the storm and standing there? If winds are strong enough to put a lean on a twenty-foot palm tree, a scrawny newsman is going to be blown around like Forrest Gump's feather.

Must idiocy be dramatic?

1 Comments:

Blogger jason evans said...

Hope everything turns out alright for you! Hang in there.

October 24, 2005 12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home