Thursday, October 13, 2005

I think I might be a masochist.

I know I'm a compulsive revise-hound.

*considers*

They may well be one in the same. I have been known to spend weeks revising things, tweaking syntax here and there, switching words around like the old shell game, and let's not talk about the question of word choice. I think and overthink scenes and dialogue: Do the words flow naturally? (I usually read it out loud to test it.) Does the conversation follow a logical (or as logical as circumstances allow) course?

And do not even get me started on the quest for the perfect, quippy one-liner.

But tonight -- tonight I started... okay, last night I started a new chapter, and didn't get much writing done today (fiance's birthday: there was a lunch date, there was cake, there was Bunneh returning home to the warren with a blinding headache that I think has to do with the front moving through the state, because the pressure in my head is unreal). So after some tea (a lovely Keemun, the package to which I threw away and I don't think I could buy it again if my life depended on it) and some General Tso's chicken, I figured I was ready to write.

But the head, it pounded.

There were analgesics. Three of them.

And still the head, it pounds.

Feels like it should be a Poe poem, doesn't it?

Once upon an evening stormy,
While I revised a plot-hole -- thorny,
Slaving over many a silly typo I'd never seen before;
While I fixed them, softly swearing,
Suddenly came a headache blaring,
Pounding forth with a vengeance I could not ignore.
"Take some Tylenol" I muttered, to quell the deafening roar;
Three I took, and nothing more.

Or something like that. The rhythm is off, I know. I have a headache.

The fact remains that I want to write, but rather than getting my mind off the stupid pressure in my sinuses, trying to think of words that rhyme with "swearing" is just making things worse.

Should just call it a night, I suppose.

I can't even take comfort in the knowledge that it's a cold front (change in pressure, blah blah blah) doing this to me, because in Florida, an October cold front means temps in the 80's rather than the 90's. Or, ooh, if I'm really lucky, we'll drop down into the 70's!

1 Comments:

Blogger jason evans said...

Bunneh,

I'm the same way (obsessing over language). The Poe-etic sentiments were hilarious!

By the way, thanks for the link. I will add you to mine.

October 24, 2005 12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home