Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Wilma has come and gone. We were only without power for five hours, total, which was nice. I overprepared, which is typical for me, but if the post-apocalyptic world I was clearly envisioning came to pass, we would have been able to use cereal bars as currency.

The funny thing about storms like this is the emotional wear and tear you undergo -- in addition to the physical wear and tear. You get a week to prepare, it's true (lucky for me I stocked up early, back when it looked like we were going to get hit by Hurricane Ophelia), but something about that pre-hurricane period is unfathomably draining. Your life becomes filled with watching the local news for updates, or checking the NOAA site for different storm tracks. And, eventually, it gets to the point where there's nothing you can do but wait. It's a breeding ground for anxiety.

Waiting out the storm isn't much better. I love a good storm like anyone else, but it's still much of the same: waiting. Rain is pounding the roof, slamming against the windows, wind is knocking down tree limbs and howling. For hours it does this, and there comes a point where you just wish it would stop. Calling it monotonous doesn't seem right, and yet it is. It doesn't matter how many diversions are available -- books, handheld video games, in my case a notebook -- the storm is still raging, still demanding attention.

As for myself, before we lost power I had my laptop open and was working on some editing and rewriting. I didn't get much done -- couldn't concentrate. Once we lost power, I kept plugging away but with little success. Eventually I shut down and went to the bedroom, which had the best natural light. I tried writing, but got no better than two paragraphs, horribly written. I tried reading, but grew irritated with the author's narrative voice. I tried sleeping, but without luck. By the time the storm had passed, I was exhausted. Today wasn't much better; I had difficulty focusing my attention, and I hope to hell that the edits and revisions I made weren't complete disasters. By four o'clock, I was tired, and what I thought would be a fifteen minute catnap turned into nearly an hour.

I think tomorrow will be better. Hopefully my system will react properly to caffeine, instead of simply ignoring its effects. That's most irritating.

I also hope that tomorrow will bring better-behaved characters. At the moment it feels like a troupe of spoiled, unmotivated actors living in my head.

1 Comments:

Blogger jason evans said...

Glad to hear you made it through without anything seriously bad happening. Probably just a bunch of cleanup now.

October 25, 2005 9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home