Sunday, March 12, 2006

An effort to post more often...

Mark said I'd be forgiven for my lapse if I took care of myself, walked the dog, and posted at least twice a week. I'm flu-free, and I've taken the puppy out, so here's an effort to post more often.

I've been giving serious consideration to posting the novel-in-progress, tentatively titled "Universal Truths," here. I'm hesitant, for a variety of reasons, but lately I just feel lost with it, like my characterizations are inconsistent, my dialogue is awful and I can't make things progress forward. I'm sure everyone has days when they feel like they can't write for beans, but I'm having a hard time shaking this. It's been difficult for me to get constructive criticism from my beta readers, because they all have their own lives, and I'm not needy and demanding enough to whine that they pay attention to me, me, ME!

That said, I'm not sure if posting it here would be a good thing either, since I'm pretty sure mine is a not-widely-read blog. And... I don't know. I feel strange about posting original fiction online. It's a whole different ball of wax. I suppose part of it is insecurity, and maybe a little bit of shyness. Part of it, however, is that online posting (or, if you prefer, "publishing," though that would be using the term loosely) seems... it just feels like a bad idea. I can't articulate why. Does it "cheapen" the work? This is something I'd like to finish and shop around, so is it best to keep it to myself and limit the number of people reading it? (And I'm not even assuming it'd get read if I posted it here.)

I think I'll keep thinking about it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mark Pettus said...

The key to a widely read blog is found in the frequency of the writing. Write more posts and write more comments and get more readers.

My blog suffers from neglect at times, and the readers start to disappear.

March 23, 2006 3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home